Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Boston Children’s Hospital. The Summer Teen Program gives teenagers ages 17 and 18 the chance to volunteer in outpatient clinics and customer service roles at the Boston Children’s Hospital main campus. Please see below for information about the program's structure, requirements, and recruitment dates.
- two seven-hour shifts per week for six consecutive weeks
- shifts will run from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on weekdays only
- must be at least 17 years of age by March 1 of the program year
- must have previous volunteer and/or work experience
- submit an application and reference form by the given due dates
- agree to complete the full volunteer commitment
- attend an in-person interview
- attend the mandatory volunteer training
Please note: All correspondence about application status and corresponding materials must be made by the candidate themselves.
Recruitment dates and materials
Due to continued efforts to minimize safety risks brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, the 2022 Summer Teen Program has been cancelled. Please visit this page in February 2023 to learn about our 2023 Summer Teen Program.
Frequently asked questions
Due to the serious nature of the hospital environment, the minimum age limit for the Summer Teen Program was adjusted from 16 in previous years to 17.
We find that those who are most successful in the volunteer role are reliable, communicative, and take initiative. Volunteers are expected to be caring, kind, observant, and willing to learn. We seek volunteers who are mature enough to handle and cope with the experience of seeing and playing with various children who have serious illnesses.
It depends on what the needs are throughout the hospital, and our spots are limited. We are anticipating taking less than 15 volunteers.
We understand that summer can be a busy time for all. However, we do ask candidates that know they are going away for part of the summer to wait and apply next summer.
Unfortunately, it is against hospital policy for teens to volunteer during the academic school year. Please see the Boston Children’s Hospital Trust's website to find opportunities for upcoming events and other ways to get involved.
Please feel free to make a note of your preferences within your volunteer application. We will do our best to accommodate requests, but all placements are based on the volunteer need. Summer Teen Program volunteers are placed in outpatient clinic/customer service roles only. Inpatient assignments are not available.
Participants will be able to volunteer at the Boston Children’s Hospital main campus at 300 Longwood Ave. only.
- Start thinking about who your reference may be: A reference form is required for every volunteer application. A reference can be anyone in a professional capacity that is not a family member or friend (e.g., teacher, manager, etc.).
- Create an email address: Most of our communication is done via email, so please be sure that you have an email address that you can check regularly.
- Mark your calendars: Please see our recruitment dates section above. We will not be accepting any applications outside of these dates, so please be sure to apply during the given time frame.