Pulmonary hypertension (PH) is high blood pressure in the arteries of the lungs (the pulmonary arteries). As the pressure builds, the heart's right ventricle has to work harder to pump blood through the lungs. This causes the heart muscle to weaken and eventually fail completely.
Unlike other congenital heart conditions, there is no surgical treatment or “cure” for pulmonary hypertension. But treatment can help lessen symptoms and improve your child’s quality of life.
Dr. Mary Mullen, MD, PhD, associate director of the Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Program, describes how her lifelong passion for medicine is enriched by the collaborative, family-centered culture of care at the Boston Children’s Benderson Family Heart Center.
Our depth of experience in pediatric pulmonary hypertension
Our program provides comprehensive diagnosis and individualized treatment for children with pulmonary hypertension. Some kids with PH require only close monitoring and follow-up, but others need multiple medications and special tests.
Managing pulmonary hypertension requires the combined expertise of many specialists. Our team includes many clinicians with experience and expertise in PH, a partial list of which includes:
- cardiologists and pulmonologists
- specialists in cardiac catheterization, both diagnostic and therapeutic
- imaging specialists, who use advanced imaging techniques to help diagnose and follow patients with PH
- pediatric rheumatologists, hepatologists, and hematologists skilled in managing diseases that can occur with PH
- experienced advanced practice nurses who provide many forms of assistance and support for our families
- cardiac intensivists and cardiac anesthesiologists
- general surgeons and neonatologists who care for infants with congenital diaphragmatic hernia and bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- other related clinical programs at Boston Children’s, including the pulmonary vein stenosis and lung transplant programs
- pharmacists, social workers, nutritionists and psychological support professionals
With particularly difficult cases, we may also consult with experts at other hospitals. Our goal is to provide the best care possible to our patients. Please contact us today for a consultation or second opinion.
Why choose the Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Program?
The Boston Children’s Pediatric Pulmonary Hypertension Program is one of the leading programs of its kind in the U.S. Our program provides comprehensive diagnosis and individualized treatment plans for children and adults with pulmonary hypertension.